http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16561067
In Scotland the display ban on tobacco in large stores has been delayed. The original plan was that all tobacco in supermarkets for example would not be displayed anymore in view. The stores are still able to sell the tobacco but now have to put the tobacco ‘under the counter’. This means the tobacco cannot be seen in the store itself. This action was taken to cut back on child smoking. The ban has been delayed because of a legal challenge by Imperial Tobacco. They claim there is no direct evidence that this will reduce the number or child smokers.
I must say that I support the idea of a display ban in stores. I do not think that this will necessarily help avoid child smoking but it will definitely make it less attractive. When you cannot see where they really sell it some kids might be able to avoid the temptation of smoking too. I still think that if someone wants to smoke they will still do it but a display ban will help to make smoking less ‘cool’ among kids because one cannot show off by buying a pack of smokes now.

Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten