maandag 16 januari 2012

Blog 14: London 2012: Mass gathering risks disease spreading

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16545017





The news story is about the fact that events such as the London 2012 Olympics form a hotbed for diseases. Due to people from all over the world visiting such an event diseases can spread quickly and will travel along with the visitors back to their country of origin. The Lancet Infectious Disease journal is responsible for highlighting this risk. Diseases often spread on big events like this and have happened before, such as the influenza outbreak during World Youth Day in 2008 in Australia. Prof Brian McCloskey, of the Health Protection Agency's preparations for London 2012, said: "The history of the Olympic Games suggests infection doesn't happen often.

I am not sure what to think of this article. On one hand I agree with the risk of events like that, it seems logical. Lots of people packed together from all over the world, only one has to have a disease and it will be able to spread across the globe. On the other hand, it has barely happened in the past as Mr. McCloskey also said. Lots of big, and maybe even bigger events, have come and gone and only on one occasion has the spreading of a disease reached the news. I think they should definitely take it into account that it could happen but I doubt it will be on a massive scale.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten